Whatever max pay you find for that rank, multiply it by the service percent multiplier and round it down to the nearest dollar. While I’m looking into that, here’s a link to another post on the same subject: https://the-military-guide.com/military-retirement-with-reserve-enlisted-and-officer-service/. My question: I have approximately 26 good years for reserve retirement, with 13 good years as an officer, 9 years as an O3. Your privacy is our top priority, and we promise to keep your email safe! If you want to dig into the nitty-gritty of the calculation then it’s in Chapter 3 of Volume 7b of the DoD Financial Management Regulation: http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_03.pdf starting with paragraph 030205 at the bottom of page 3-9. FFFC Is my TSP taxed as ordinary income or capital gain? Here’s a minimum breakdown of points earned during a normal year: This article covers ways to earn more retirement points in the Guard and Reserves. First issue: How does the military time calculate into the FERS Supplement? If you delay the start of that pension while the older base-pay numbers are dropping out of the 36-month average, you could be missing thousands of dollars a month in pension deposits which would take decades to make up. The actual numbers depend on the pay tables in effect when you’re ages 57-60 to determine the average of those 36 highest months, but using the 2018 pay tables puts the calculation in today’s dollars. Thanks for your article, it is very informative! Members receive one point for each day and the duty must be a minimum 2 hours, including travel. However to be eligible for Tricare Reserve Select, you have to be in a drilling status (pay billet). A couple years is a big deal. In this case, your pension multiplier would be 1.1% and your pension formula would come together as…, In this case – if you were age 62, with 25 years of service and a High-3 Salary of $100,000 your pension would be calculated as…, $100,000 x 25 Years x 1.1% = $27,500/year…………………………………………or $2,291/month. If there’s a problem with one of your SF-50s, or one went missing – it’s going to affect your creditable service. It’s possible that Congress will pass legislation in the next two years to change O-5 pay, yet the last overhaul of the pay tables was in 2007. By the way, if you join AUSN you’ll have access to all their website tools for Reserve planning, including the latest on when you’ll hear from your service and the pay center. Each service has their own procedures on their Reserve/National Guard websites, and they’re all just different enough (and changing frequently enough) to be extremely confusing. Some of the math depends on your age at retirement and when you’d start a Reserve pension. The engineer in me needs to be given something definitive in writing. The pension calculations are much more lucrative than the usual FERS pension in other federal agencies. If it is no longer fun, then it might be time for a change is what I was told a long time ago and have seen it repeated in your comments. Micah Shilanski is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional who specializes in helping federal employees get the most out of their federal retirement benefits. Many people think that their creditable service starts with their SCD – but this is not true. For most ranks, today’s pay tables top out at longevity for 18 years of service, 20, 22, 24, 26, or 30 YOS. See paragraph 6 of OPNAVINST 1001.27 (https://doni.documentservices.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-01%20General%20Military%20Personnel%20Records/1001.27.pdf). Your pension will start three months earlier for every 90 days during a fiscal year that you spent deployed to support combat operations in accordance with the 2008 NDAA requirements. Jeffery, it’s true that federal law requires military servicemembers to retire at age 60 (unless Congress grants an extension). Here is some helpful info concerning the early drop: Early Retirement for National Guard and Reserves. I’ve read the references and checked them with an expert, but I haven’t personally gone through the process. Do you know if there is an appreciable difference in 2018? (That 96% assumes two years of 2% raises.) If that happens then you’ll get less than $1975/month. The new calendar year’s first payment is boosted by its cost of living adjustment– which continues at the new level for the rest of the year until the following year’s COLA. For each one, you’ll take the max pay at that rank (max longevity) and the number of months of that year. That’s [(9x$5291.40)+(12x$5430)+(12x$5511)+(3x$5594)]/36 =$5436.02 The pension is (4146/360) x 2.5% x $5436.02 = $1565/month. Also, I need to get a copy of my DD214 for my Active time (2001-2002) but only have a Member’s copy and my Federal job won’t accept this for credit. It was rarely approved during the last 13 years of war, and in a drawdown it would be extremely unlikely. SCD is for leave purposes only. You’re given all of the increases in the pay tables because your pension will be calculated from the pay tables in effect in 2034– and at the O-5 longevity as if you’ve been on active duty the entire time. That’s a tough question, Arthur! I have since sent a request back to them asking them to confirm if 10 US Code 1370 applies or does not apply to me and I am awaiting a response. TRR is not subsidized like Tricare Reserve Select so the TRR premiums are higher. By retiring at MRD and immediately starting your Reserve O-5 pension (instead of starting it years or decades later), you had months of O-6 pay which were higher than your O-5 retirement rank. Thanks for the question, Andrew! Both of the elected officials I have contacted about my retirement have been dead ends.

Fasco Cross Reference, Taraxacum Officinale Taxonomy, Detox Nyt Crossword, Steam Cake In Rice Cooker, Describe The Various Types Of Surgical Periodontal Therapy,